What is Ozempic®?
Ozempic® (semaglutide) injection 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg is an injectable prescription medicine used:
- along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes.
- to reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death in adults with type 2 diabetes with known heart disease.
It is not known if Ozempic® can be used in people who have had pancreatitis.
Ozempic® is not for use in people with type 1 diabetes.
It is not known if Ozempic® is safe and effective for use in children under 18 years of age.
Before using Ozempic®, tell your health care provider if you have any other medical conditions, including if you:
- have or have had problems with your pancreas or kidneys.
- have a history of diabetic retinopathy.
- are pregnant or breastfeeding or plan to become pregnant or breastfeed. It is not known if Ozempic® will harm your unborn baby or passes into your breast milk. You should stop using Ozempic® 2 months before you plan to become pregnant.
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, herbal supplements, and other medicines to treat diabetes, including insulin or sulfonylureas.